Parents frequently tell their children, “Chew your food! You don’t have teeth in your stomach!” In fact, we have lots of enzymes in the body that break food down like very tiny teeth. But enzymes can’t break down big particles of food.
One of the main underlying diseases in my holistic dermatology practice is allergy. Food allergy, in particular, is aggravated and sometimes caused by improper digestion. To keep digestion at its best, follow these top five tips that will help your complexion as well as your digestion:
- When you eat, you are literally re-creating your body with each bite you consume, incorporating new molecules into your being. Eat your meals sitting at a dining table (not while reading, watching TV, or driving) Chew your food completely, enjoying each bite with each of your senses.
- Boost your digestion by taking “bitters” before you eat, ginger tea, or enzymes after you eat.
- Avoid liquids one half hour before and one hour after meals, sipping water sparingly if you’re thirsty. This is because liquids kill the “fire of digestion” in the stomach, diluting enzymes that break food into usable components.
- Your mood matters almost as much as your food. Find a way to eat in a peaceful mood, avoiding eating when angry, sad, or fearful.
- After a brief rest, take a walk after your meal. This helps the body keep the metabolism up.
To your health,
As always, the content of this blog is for information and education purposes only, and should not be used to diagnose or treat illness; please see your physician for care.